Monday, February 2, 2015

Response to R1 media

     Synesthesia is when a sensory or cognitive pathway can lead to an involuntary experience in another sensory of cognitive pathway. It's very rare and many people who have synesthesia do not realize that others do not perceive things how they perceive things. Some people use their abilities to help facilitate their work in some way while others consider it a burden because they experience sensory over loads.

     I believe that it would be cool to be to have a mild form of Synesthesia. I would not want to see an array of colors every time I listen to music or when someone is just speaking to me. For certain sounds I think that it would be cool to see various colors, but I would not want to be bombarded with colors and shapes every time I hear something. For example I would not want to be on the level in which David Tammet is on with his Synesthesia. He seems that he experiences all sorts of other additional sensory experiences when another sense is triggered.

     Cymatics is when sound is visualized. Evan Grant believes that Cymatics is a way of finding data in nature. For example, people are able to visualize the noises dolphins use to communicate with one another and the people studying those noises are trying to make a lexicon of dolphin language. If Cymatics is a way to unlock the secrets of nature, like dolphin language, then I believe that it is a crucial field of study to explore to better understand the world around us. In addition to scientific purposes it also makes for an interesting medium for creating art.

No comments:

Post a Comment